School-Nominated scholarships means that scholarship winners are selected by their respective schools--not by the Foundation. If you're attending a Foundation-affiliated school, request nomination through
AHLEF's Designated Contact Person
All student nominees must complete sections 1-3 and 8 of the AHLEF Scholarship Application, plus any additional sections as noted below.
Additionally, under separate cover, participating schools are required to send a nomination form confirming their nominees and providing suggested award amounts. AHLEF will not consider applicants for these awards without verification of nomination from their respective schools. AHLEF academic scholarship applications are only accepted from January to May 1 each year. Please note that any applications received from May 2 through December 31 will not be reviewed because the information provided will be outdated for the next school year.
AHLEF Annual Scholarship Grant Program
The Foundation's largest program, the Annual Scholarship Grant Program, is co-administered with a group of universities and colleges affiliated with AHLEF.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, a total of $518,000 has been allocated to Foundation-affiliated schools. Financial support for the scholarship grant program is provided by the following scholarship funds:
- AHLEF General Campaign
- AHLEF Hospitality 2000
- Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS)
- Melinda Bush
- John Clifford Memorial
- Cecil B. Day Memorial
- Handlery Hotels
- Conrad N. Hilton Memorial
- Creighton Holden Memorial
- Hospitality Asset Managers Association
- Steve Hymans Extended Stay Scholarship
- Richard Kelley
- Richard Kessler
- J. Willard Marriott Memorial
- Joseph McInerney Scholarship
- Curtis C. Nelson
Click here for more information on each fund
Additional funds for the program come from AHLEF's Annual Giving Program and special events like the
Big Apple Auction
General Eligibility Criteria
- Enrolled full-time in an undergraduate hospitality management program an an
AHLEF affiliated school
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (2.0 if receiving Conrad Hilton Funds)
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Completed 1-2 years of school depending on the program
Award amounts can range from $500 to $6,000 depending upon enrollment and recommended amount from school.
These affiliated schools agree to co-administer AHLEF scholarships with us. In return for receiving an annual scholarship grant, the school selects the student recipients and award amounts based upon AHLEF criteria. Schools also assist in the disbursement process. View the Scholarship Manual for a complete account of all policies and procedures.
Every three to four years, the Foundation initiates a review process of both existing and new schools wishing to participate. The next application period will take place in 2017.
All student nominees must complete sections 1-3 and 8 of the AHLEF Scholarship Application.
View the most recent
recipients of the AHLEF Annual Scholarship Program
Arthur J. Packard Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship honors Arthur J. Packard, a third-generation hotelier, whose work for AHLA extended over 30 years -- one of the longest tenures on record. The Packard Competition provides scholarships to the most outstanding student of lodging management and to two runners-up through an annual competition among Foundation affiliated four-year programs.
Each affiliated four-year program nominates its best qualified student to compete in the national competition. Eligibility criteria for nominees are:
- Enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for upcoming fall and spring semester, or just the fall semester if graduating this December
- A baccalaureate hospitality management major at a U.S. college or university
- At least a junior for the upcoming fall semester
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.5 or higher
- A U.S. citizenship or permanent resident
- First-place winner receives a $5,000 scholarship
- Second-place receives $3,000 scholarship
- Third-place receives $2,000 scholarship
View a list of the 66
four-year affiliated schools that are eligible to nominate students for the Packard award
All student nominees must complete all sections of the AHLEF Scholarship Application, including Appendix A, which requires a recommendation letter from both an employer and instructor.
View the most recent
recipients of the Arthur J. Packard Memorial Scholarship
Rama Scholarship for the American Dream
JHM Hotels, Inc. established the Rama Scholarship for the American Dream with a $1,000,001 endowment. The five Rama brothers, principals in the company, emigrated from India to pursue their American Dream. It began with the ownership of one lodging property and grew into a successful operation of 42 properties and more than 1,500 associates. The fund, established on the 25th anniversary of the brothers' first hotel purchase, encourages others to create their own American Dream. Since its inception in 1998 the Rama Scholarship Fund has awarded $666,300 in scholarships to 406 recipients.
- Enrolled in at least 9 credit hours for the upcoming fall and spring semesters, or just the fall semester if graduating in December
- An undergraduate or graduate hospitality management major
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- A U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident
- Participating schools select the recipients. Preference is given to students of Asian-Indian descent and other minority groups, as well as JHM Hotel employees.
The following 13 hospitality management schools have been designated to participate in the program:
- Bethune-Cookman University
- California State Polytechnic University
- Cornell University
- Florida International University
- Georgia University
- Greenville Technical College
- Howard University
- Johnson & Wales University - Charlotte
- New York University
- University of Central Florida
- University of Houston
- University of South Carolina
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Award amounts can range from $1,000 to $3,000 depending upon enrollment and recommended amount from school
All Rama student nominees must complete all sections of the AHLEF Scholarship Application.
View the most recent
recipients of the Rama Scholarship for the American Dream