My School is Already Affiliated
for a current list of affiliated schools.
For complete details on being an AHLEF Affiliate, please review the Scholarship Manuel.
I Need to Update My Contact InformationPlease fill out the
Designated Contact Form
and email it to Foundation Staff at
. It is the school's responsibility to notify AHLEF of any contact changes.
I Want to Nominate Students for Scholarship AwardsYou will receive a scholarship package in February, which will include your school's allocation amount for the upcoming academic year and student nomination forms. Schools are required to submit student nominations and ensure the student nominees have completed a scholarship application by May 1
. Failure to do so will result in the forfeit of the school's scholarship allocation for the year and may jeopardize continued participation in the program.
How to Select Student Nominees
Student Minimum Eligibility Criteria
- Be enrolled as a full-time (minimum of 12 hours) undergraduate in a hospitality related degree-granting program; with the exception of Rama Scholarship nominees who can be enrolled part-time (at least 9 hours) and a graduate student.
- Maintain full-time status through the fall and spring semesters in order to receive the scholarship checks. Students not planning to take 12 hours should not be nominated. Students graduating in December can be nominated as long as the award amount falls within the amount guidelines (see guidelines below.)
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (with the exception of the Conrad N. Hilton awards, which require a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 and Rama which has a 2.5 overall GPA minimum). Consult your allocation letter to see which funds were received.
- Four-year schools can nominate raising sophomores who will have junior standing for the upcoming fall semester and two-year schools can nominate raising freshman who will have sophomore standing.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident.
Award Amount Guidelines
The schools determine the individual award amounts for each student within the following guidelines:
December Graduates (Fall Semester Only)
- Four-Year $500 - $3,000
- Two-Year $250 - $1,500
Academic Year (Fall and Spring)
- Four-Year $1,000 - $6,000
- Two-Year $500 - $3,000
If you have any questions regarding the nomination process, please contact Michelle Poinelli, Senior VP of Foundation Programs at
or (202) 289-3181.
Important Reminders and Deadline Dates
January - Confirm your Designated Contacts . AHLEF will send an email in early January confirming the designated contacts at your school. It is the school's responsibility to notify us of any contact changes.
March 1 - School Confirmation Form , which confirms that your school received the allocation letter and will participate this year by nominating qualified students.
May 1 -
School Nomination Form
, which lists student nominees and amounts. Additionally, schools must ensure that the student nominees have completed an AHLEF individual scholarship application. Students completing online applications are provided a confirmation number, which is required on the nomination form.
June 30 - Official or Unofficial Transcripts for all students who received scholarship monies during the academic year. For example, transcripts are due by June 30, 2017 for all students who received AHLEF scholarship funds for the fall 2016 and spring 2017 semesters. AHLEF needs to verify that the students were enrolled for the required number of credit hours during the semesters they received scholarship monies.
Promote Other AHLEF Scholarships
As an affiliate school, you are expected to promote all of AHLEF's scholarships to your students. In addition to AHLEF's school-nominated scholarships, five self-nominated scholarships are administered. This year, more than $225,000 is budgeted for these programs:
We ask our affiliates to email their hospitality management students regarding AHLEF scholarship opportunities. Additionally, please place our flyer on any bulletin boards or scholarship resources within your college or university.
The school application, which your school will be required to complete during every review period, will ask which scholarship promotional methods were used on your campus. Additionally, AHLEF is starting to track how many applicants are applying from each affiliate school. Let us know how we can help you in your promotional efforts.