Click here for a current list of affiliated schools.
What Does It Mean to be Affiliated?
Affiliated schools receive funding through our largest scholarship program, the Annual Scholarship Grant Program, which is a one of nine offered by AHLEF. This year, 70 universities and colleges are participating in the program and will be awarded more than $610,000 from over a dozen named scholarship funds. In total, AHLEF is budgeted to disburse $1.3 million through all its scholarship programs.
Students do not have to be attending an affiliate school to apply for AHLEF’s six open scholarship competitions.
- agree to co-administer our scholarships with us,
- are allocated annual scholarship grants annually,
- select student recipients to receive those funds, based on a set of minimum eligibility criteria set by AHLEF Committee (see Student Minimum Eligibility Criteria below),
- decide award amounts for each nominated student, based on parameters also set by the AHLEF Scholarship Committee (see Award Amount Guidelines below),
- receive and disburse all AHLEF scholarship checks on campus (school nominated and self-nominated),
- serve as an AHLEF point of contact on campus for all scholarships (school nominated and self-nominated),
- agree to promote all AHLEF scholarships (school nominated and self-nominated),
- assist in collecting transcript documentation (official or unofficial) from each AHLEF scholarship recipient at the end of the spring semester/quarter, and
- must re-apply for consideration to stay in the Annual Scholarship Grant Program every three to five years (see school application details below).
Important Reminders and Deadline Dates
Affiliated schools will be mailed a scholarship package, which will include your school's allocation amount for the upcoming 2019 academic year and student nomination forms.
School Confirmation Form, which confirms that your school received the allocation letter and will participate in 2019 by nominating qualified students.
School Nomination Form, which lists student nominees and amounts. Additionally, schools must ensure that the student nominees have completed an AHLEF scholarship application. Students completing online applications are provided a confirmation number, which is required on the nomination form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Details regarding the policies and procedures of the Annual Scholarship Grant Program can be found in AHLEF’s 2018 Scholarship Manual
I Need to Update My Contact Information
I Want to Nominate Students for Scholarship Awards
Affiliated schools will receive a scholarship package in November 2018, which will include your school's allocation amount for the upcoming 2019 academic year and student nomination forms. Schools are required to submit student nominations and ensure the student nominees have completed a scholarship application. The 2019 deadline date to submit the Nomination Form will be February 15th. Failure to do so will result in the forfeit of the school's scholarship allocation for the year and may jeopardize continued participation in the program.
How to Select Student Nominees
Student Minimum Eligibility Criteria
- Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate (minimum of 12 hours) in a hospitality related degree-granting program; with the exception of Rama Scholarship nominees who can be enrolled part-time (at least 9 hours) and a graduate student.
- Maintain full-time status through the fall and spring semesters to receive the scholarship checks. Students not planning to take 12 hours should not be nominated. Students graduating in December can be nominated if the award amount falls within the amount guidelines (see guidelines below.)
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (except for the Conrad N. Hilton awards, which require a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 and Rama which has a 2.5 overall GPA minimum). Consult your allocation letter to see which funds were received.
- Four-year schools can nominate rising sophomores who will have junior standing for the upcoming fall semester and two-year schools can nominate rising freshman who will have sophomore standing.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident.
Award Amount Guidelines
The schools determine the individual award amounts for each student within the following guidelines:
December Graduates (Fall Semester Only)
- Four-Year $1,000 - $3,000
- Two-Year $250 - $1,500
Academic Year (Fall and Spring)
- Four-Year $2,000 - $6,000
- Two-Year $500 - $3,000
If you have any questions regarding the nomination process, please contact Michelle Poinelli, Senior VP of Foundation Programs, at email@example.com or (202) 289-3181.
School Application – Reviewed Every 3 to 5 Years
Approximately every three to five years, AHLEF’s Scholarship Committee reviews all existing schools participating in the Annual Scholarship Grant Program and accepts applications from new schools wishing to join. The committee has designated 2018 to be a review year. The deadline date to submit a school application was April 15th. The online portal is now closed and applications are no longer being accepted. Schools will be notified in October regarding their affiliation status for 2019. The committee will be reviewing the following information:
- Degrees offered
- Number of students enrolled and graduating from the program
- Program faculty
- Student placement in the industry
- Hotels recruiting on campus
- Program accreditation
The committee will also consider past participation in AHLEF’s scholarship programs and school compliance/partnership, which will look at the total number of students from each school that applied for AHLEF’s self-nominated scholarships. In addition, emphasis will be placed on the number of graduates and placement in the industry.
Since affiliation and participation in the Annual Scholarship Grant Program requires the schools to co-administer the scholarships with AHLEF, be sure that your school is willing to do its part by reviewing AHLEF’s 2018 Scholarship Manual
Promote AHLEF’s Self-Nominated Scholarships
As an affiliate school, you are expected to promote all AHLEF's scholarships to your students. In addition to AHLEF's school-nominated scholarships, six self-nominated scholarships are administered. In 2018, more than $600,000 is budgeted for these programs:
- AHLEF Graduate Students
- American Express
- Hyatt Hotels Fund for Minority Lodging Management Students
- Incoming Freshman
- Opening Doors to Opportunity
We ask our affiliates to email their hospitality management students regarding AHLEF scholarship opportunities. Additionally, please place our flyer on any bulletin boards or scholarship resources within your college or university.
The deadline date for 2019 scholarships will be February 15, 2019. 2019 Scholarship Materials are coming soon.
AHLEF is moving up the deadline dates for all 2019 scholarships to February 15, 2019 so that we can notify the students sooner regarding their award status. Information regarding AHLEF’s 2019 scholarships and the online scholarship portal will be available in November.